Home » Programmes » Recipes » Week 15 » Bernadette Ní Chadhain
Bernadette Ní Chadhain's Meal
- 3 pounds boneless pork
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 slices bacon, plus drippings
- 4 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Hungarian sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons wine or cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 2 cups beef or pork broth
- 1-2 tablespoons Wondra flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Cut pork into 2 inch cubes, removing all traces of fat.
- Heat bacon in a heavy dutch oven until crunchy, then crumble. In same skillet, saute onions and cook, stirring constantly for 3-4 minutes of until soft and golden.
- Add garlic and paprika; cook, stirring for 2 more minutes (do not let garlic brown).
Add vinegar, pork, salt and caraway seed, stirring well. Add enough broth to barely cover the pork.
- Reduce heat to low setting and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 1 hour or until pork is almost, but not quite tender.
To thicken, stir in Wondra flour. Add sour cream; stir well.
- Cover; simmer for 20 minutes, or until meat is tender. The sauce should have a consistency similar to heavy cream. If the sauce is too thin, cook without cover until sauce has thickened; if too thick, add a small amount of broth.
- Serve with boiled baby potatoes or over buttered noodles or steamed rice.
About 6 servings.
- 1 banana, split lengthwise
- 1 scoop each vanilla, chocolate and strawberry ice cream
- chocolate syrup
- marshmallow creme
- strawberry syrup
- whipped cream
- chopped nuts
- maraschino cherries
- Place banana slices against sides of long, narrow, shallow dish*.
- Place scoops of ice cream in a row between banana slices.
- Squirt chocolate syrup on vanilla and strawberry on strawberry.
- Spoon marshmallow creme over chocolate.
- Top each mound with whipped cream.
- Sprinkle with nuts and top each with a cherry.