Home » Programmes » Recipes » Week 2 » Bríd Fitzhenry
Bridget Fitzhenry's Meal
- 2lbs steak mince
- 2 large onions
- 1/2 bulb garlic
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 jar of tomato bolognaise sauce
- 4 carrots grated
- 1/2 teaspoon of curry powder
- 1 beef stock cube
- salt & pepper
- cooking oil
- pasta lasagne sheets
- cheese sauce
- 1 pint milk
- ½ pint vegetable stock
- 1/3 block grated cheese
- 2oz butter
- 1 teaspoon of wholegrain mustard
- Salt & Pepper
- Pour some cooking oil into a large sausepan
( enough to cover base )
- Add curry powder and spices and heat gently
for a few minutes.
- Add meat and fry, stirring continuously for
10 – 15 minutes until meat is all nicely browned.
- Add the onion, grated carrot and beef stock
cube. Stir and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Pour in jar of tomato bolognaise sauce and
1 tin of chopped tomatoes.
- Allow to cook and simmer slowly while making cheese sacue.
If bolognaise is a little thin you can thicken
at the end with some gravy granules.
- Make a roux with your melted butter and
- Using a whisk add the milk
- As it begins to thicken add
some stock a little at a time until all stock has been used up.
- Continue to
cook for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Put a layer of bolognaise sauce into a
large rectangular dish.
- Now put a layer of pasta lasagne sheets,
then a layer of cheese sauce.
- Repeat this until you have 3 layers of each
in dish and finish with a layer of cheese sauce sprinkled liberally with grated
- Bake in oven at 180ºc for 45mins.
- 175g/6oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
- 225g/8oz Butter or Margarine (room temperature)
- 125g/4oz Chocolate
- 325g/12oz Caster Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Essence
- 4 Eggs (beaten)
- 100g Packet Shamrock Chopped Walnuts
- Pinch of Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Baking Powder
- Preheat oven to 160°C/320°F/Gas 3. Lightly grease an
oblong brownie tin. 25cm/10” x 15cm/6”. Small roasting tin would also do.
- Melt the butter or margarine and chocolate together over
a low heat.
- Remove from heat, add the sugar and mix well.
- Add vanilla essence, eggs and chopped walnuts.
- Sieve the flour, salt and baking powder together and
gently stir into chocolate mixture.
- Pour into prepared tin and bake for about 40-50 minutes
until crusty on top.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool, cut into brownies.